Caviaroli Olive Oil Caviar, developed by molecular gastronomy Chef Ferran Adria, are small spheres of high quality Spanish Arbequina olive oil that burst in the mouth. The patented process cannot be made in a professional kitchen or at home. Caviaroli's stunning yellow color and glossy clarity makes it an incredible garnish for any modern dish and amuse bouche. Caviaroli olive oil is used in several Michelin star restaurants by chefs such as Ferran Adria, Artur Martinez, Nando Jubany, Joan Roca, Dani Garcia, Quique Dacosta, Paco Perez and Carles Tejedor. You just need to use a few pearls per serving so this jar of 200g has between 100 to 200 servings.
Caviaroli encapsulated extra virgin olive oil is made using a modified version of the spherification process. The resulting olive oil pearl has the aroma and taste of high quality Spanish olive oil but has the texture of caviar. Thanks to the unique process, the olive oil inside the sphere is 100% pure with no additives. Extra virgin olive oil drops are covered with a thin layer of sodium alginate solution using an encapsulation machine. The coated olive oil drops are then immersed in a calcium bath in the same way you perform basic spherification, resulting in a fine gelatin-like capsule around the oil drop to form the caviar. The difference in this case, is that the Caviaroli olive oil sphere has no sodium alginate inside, retaining the flavor profile and texture of the original oil and preventing the gelification of the inner liquid.
Caviaroli olive oil caviar can be used in any dish or dessert that requires olive oil. It is always better to combine it with soft textures so the unique texture and bursting of Caviaroli encapsulated olive oil stands out. Olive oil caviar is perfect for salads, cold and hot soups, vinagrettes, soured sauces and an endless number of dishes that pair perfectly with olive oil.
Caviaroli needs to be stored at room temperature, away from light and heat like any other olive oil.
Check out Caviaroli recipes here.
How to Use Caviaroli Olive Oil Caviar
- If you want to soften the outer membrane of the sphere, you can lightly salt Caviaroli in a colander and let it rest for 30 minutes at room temperature. This will make the membrane thinner and softer.
- Serve at room temperature for a better experience, not cold from the fridge.
- To increase the olive oil flavor without the need of using lots of Caviaroli pearls, you can season it with extra virgin olive oil made from Arbequina olives, same kind used in Caviaroli.
- You can also season Caviaroli olive oil caviar with aromatic spices and oils such as thyme, rosemary, citrus rind, etc.
How to Conserve
- Store in a dry, cool place, protected from light and odors.
- Make sure the Container is closed tight to prevent the olive oil in the jar from oxidizing.