Elementary and Middle School students will learn valuable skills and concepts by creating their own edible molecular gastronomy dish. For this lesson, students will use the Reverse Spherification technique to create delicious strawberry spheres with a thin gel membrane on the outside and delicious strawberry puree on the inside. In this lesson, students will learn how molecular gastronomy chefs use chemical reactions to turn ordinary food into extraordinary dishes.
- Each kit contains enough ingredients for 30 experiments
- Cost per experiment per team is only $2 - $7.3 depending on number of teams working simultaneously
- Refills are only 61 cents per experiment per team!
- The fixed cost (tools and equipment) for a classroom of 24 is only $121.45 and you can use this every year. The variable cost (special ingredients) per classroom of 24 is only $3.68!
• Chemistry is used in a wide variety of professions.
• Science and cooking are closely related.
• Origin of Sodium Alginate and Gelatin.
• What is a gel.
• Differences between gelatin and alginate gels.
• Introduction to the concept of difussion.
• How to measure time and weight precisely.
• How to reproduce sequential steps following recipe instructions.
• How to engage in collaborative discussions with team members and teachers.
• Use scientific thinking processes to conduct investigations and build explanations: observing, communicating, comparing and organizing.
- Enough ingredients for 30 experiments, you can purchase refills when you run out
- Tools for 2-10 teams working simultaneously (depending on selection)
The YumScience Spherification Kit has tools for 2 to 10 teams, we recommend groups of 4-5 children but you can have larger or smaller groups depending on budget. There is enough quantity of ingredients to experiment 30 times. Select the number of teams that need to be working simultaneously and we will include a set of tools for each team.
INCLUDED IN THE KIT
Tools (for every two teams)
• 2 Perforated spoons (one for each team)
• 2 Measuring spoons (one for each team
• 1 High Precision Digital Scale (shared, you can add single scales if you want each team to have their own scale)
• 2 Syringes (one for each team)
• 4 weighing dishes (two for each team)
For additional teams we will add the YumScience Spherification Tools (two teams) depending on your selection.
Ingredients (for 30 experiments)
• 3 oz. Sodium Alginate (enough for 30 baths of 500g each).
• 3 oz. Calcium Lactate Gluconate (enough for 30 batches of strawberry puree of 125g each).
Lesson Plan (downloadable PDF sent via email)
• Background for the teacher
• Pre-lesson preparation
• Recipe card
• Questions to guide the investigation
For the teacher
• Blender and sieve
For each team
• 2 containers per team that can hold about 500ml of liquid (e.g. bowl)
• 150g of strawberries
• 10g of sugar
• Distilled water 500ml
• Beaker, cup or small bowl
• Fork or small whisk
• Jell-O piece (for Part II)
• Small plate
• Optional: chronograph or watch for each team to measure time.